NeonMind Biosciences

NeonMind Biosciences is a preclinical psychedelic drug development company based in Vancouver, Canada. Currently, NeonMind sells proprietary, adaptogenic mushroom coffee products that include Reishi, Cordyceps, Lion’s Mane, and Turkey Tail species and intends to launch dietary supplements as well. 

The company was founded in 2020 and as of early 2021 is publicly traded on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange and Canadian Securities Exchange. Rob Tessarolo was appointed as President and CEO in January 2021. 

NeonMind’s clinical endeavors are currently focused on treating obesity with psychedelics, via their appetite suppressant and behavioral change potential. In a March 2021 press release, Tessarolo stated, “Psychedelic therapy has the potential to institute long term positive behaviours that may impact food intake and other lifestyle changes which affect weight management, and psilocybin in low doses may help control appetite and satiety.” He also told Evan Lewis-Healy of Psychedelic Spotlight, “If a patient who gets into the diet and exercise and pharmacotherapy regimen also has psychedelic enhanced psychotherapy, that potentially allows that patient to better adopt the treatment protocol that’s prescribed to them. We see that as being potentially very effective in the treatment of obesity.”

In its latest clinical trials, NeonMind is studying the efficacy of psilocybin in obesity treatment. The company is differentially targeting serotonin receptors against which psilocybin is an agonist: 5-HT2A receptors are being targeted with a combination of high-dose psilocybin and psychotherapy and 5-HT2C receptors are being targeted with low-dose psilocybin. Preclinical trials began at the University of British Columbia in November 2020 led by Dr. Alasdair Barr. The phase two human clinical trials are intended to begin in Spring 2021. 

As of March 2021, NeonMind’s pending patents cover the following compounds:

  • 4-SH-dimethyltryptamine
  • 1-methylpsilocin
  • 4-fluoro-N,N-dimethyltryptamine
  • O-acetylpsilocin (4-AcO-DMT)
  • 4-hydroxy-N-methyl-N-isopropyltryptamine (4-HO-MIPT)
  • 4-hydroxy-N-methyl-N-ethyltryptamine (4-HO-MET)
  • lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)
  • lysergic acid amide (LSA)
  • N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT

NeonMind holds 80% ownership of the LSD, LSA, and DMT pending patents and Translational Life Sciences owns the remaining 20 percent.

NeonMind consists of a growing, interdisciplinary team of scientists and experts spanning neurology, psychiatry, pharmacology, internal medicine, and behavioral science. Its research and development workgroup includes Frank Russo as a consultant to integrate music into clinical trials and pharmaceutical executive Philippe Martin as a drug development consultant. Additionally, its Chief Psychedelic Officer, Trevor Millar, is a board member of MAPS Canada and the Canadian Psychedelic Association.